Sun. Jun 4th, 2023

There are not many experiences more Michigander than taking a quick jaunt over to Canada. Metro Detroiters often pop over to nearby Canada via Windsor to visit our neighbors to the north (or sometimes south).
Before you head across the border, here’s what you need to know about passports and other documentation you’ll need for you, your kids and your pets.
Whether you’re crossing via the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel or Ambassador Bridge, Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry proof of citizenship and identity, according to the U.S. Department of State website
For U.S. citizens and permanent residents, a valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card satisfies the requirements. U.S. citizen who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land.
A U.S. enhanced driver’s license on its own is not proof of citizenship, but may be accepted with additional documents that support the traveler’s identity and citizenship, according to Maria Ladouceur, media relations spokesperson for the Canada Border Services Agency.
“In all cases, before making a decision on whether or not to allow a traveller to enter Canada, a Canada Border Services Agency border services officer (BSO) will review and consider each traveller’s unique circumstances, the purpose of the trip, and the documents presented at the time of entry,” Ladouceur said. “BSOs use all of the information available to them when a traveller is seeking entry into Canada, to determine if the traveller is eligible to enter the country. It is recommended that U.S. citizens travel with a valid passport to facilitate their border crossing because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel.”
More:Canada lifts COVID-19 travel, border restrictions: What it means for Michiganders
More:48 undeclared bottles of alcohol seized at the Canadian Border
Children under 16 only need a birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship to cross into Canada by land. The birth certificate can be original, a photocopy or certified copy, according to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. If you plan to travel with a minor for whom you don’t have full legal custody, CBSA may require a letter of authorization from the minor’s parents or legal guardian.
For groups of children under age 19 arriving by land and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, they may also present an original or copy of a birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card.
The group should provide, on organizational letterhead:
According to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. citizens entering the United States by land are required to present a valid Western Hemisphere travel initiative-compliant document, which includes:
U.S. citizen children, ages 16 and under, arriving by land from Canada may present an original or copy of their birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be an original, photocopy or certified copy.
If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived, a border officer will accept , according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
U.S. citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance, may travel using a passport or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative approved document in their prior name provided they bring proof of the name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
If you cross via the Ambassador Bridge, it’ll cost $6.00 to cross into Canada and $8 when returning to the U.S. If you’re traveling with a trailer, rates will vary based on weight and axles.
If you opt for the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, it costs $5.50 for automobiles and RVs, according to On the way back, it’s only $5.
The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Bus will resume service Nov. 27, operate seven days a week and cost $7.50 each way, according to the City of Windsor.
Further north in Port Huron, it’s $3.75 to cross the Blue Water Bridge into Canada.
And even further north in Sault Ste. Marie, it’s $4 to cross the Sault Ste. Marie International Bridge.
Dogs older than 3 months old joining your road trip can enter Canada if they’re accompanied by a rabies vaccination certificate and appear healthy, according to the Government of Canada.
If your dog is less than 3 months old, you’ll need proof of its age, which you can get from a veterinarian, and the dog must appear healthy, A rabies certification is not required, for dogs less than 3 months old.
However, it’s against the law to bring pit bulls into Ontario, according to Ontario law. The law does allow certain pit bulls to enter Ontario for recognized dog shows and flyball tournaments under limited circumstances.
If you’re traveling with a domestic cat 3 months or older, you will need a valid rabies vaccination certificate or veterinary certificate.
If you’re traveling with a domestic cat less than 3 months of age, a rabies certification is not required, but you’ll need proof of the cat’s age.
All pets must meet humane transportation requirements.


By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *